New?

This site is best viewed chronologically, start here. Then follow the post order in the archive.

Recommendations: 7mm sole, don't go too fast, take your time, on concrete, flat, no hills!
If you don't do that, go below 7mm, go too fast or up-hills, you will get injured.

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Posture! (D+6)

Posture, it is all about it. I went for my third small run barefoot today, only 1.5k in 8 minutes, but this time in the woods. It is clear that you have to be a bit more careful. Small pointy stones, holes big or small, any relief on the ground are directly transmitted to your feet. Surprisingly, it is actually easier to run on concrete than in the woods. Concrete is much more even, no surprises to expect, in the woods, you have to be a bit more careful about where you step. But it was nice, I can clearly cope with the inequalities on the ground, while enjoying the barefoot sensation.


After this small barefoot run, I slipped in my soled running shoes and went for my usual Wednesday run. This direct transition from barefoot to sole made me realize that it is all about posture. And it even seem that running barefoot helps me to keep a correct posture while running soled. Or at least to think about it. The little barefoot experience I have made me realize that I run soled much more pulling on my back, while barefoot I seem to be leading the pace with my chest. I had read similar things, which is probably why I realized it, but feeling it while barefoot definitively helped me to change my posture while running with shoes. This posture comes naturally while barefoot, and it is only then that I realized it.

My feet are fine, no more sensation at the sole, looking good. I like it. I definitively want to increase the distance barefoot next time. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the transition takes a bit of work. Maybe winter is not the best time of year for this "painful" process i.e. the coldness being a further sensation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed Anonymous, I was just evoking this point during this run. But hey, why not? If I can do it during the German winter, that should show that it is possible. On the other side, cold feet are not a problem yet. I guess the motion is keeping them warm.

    ReplyDelete