New?

This site is best viewed chronologically, start here. Then follow the post order in the archive.

Recommendations: 7mm sole, don't go too fast, take your time, on concrete, flat, no hills!
If you don't do that, go below 7mm, go too fast or up-hills, you will get injured.

Sunday 6 November 2011

Let's get started.

So that's it, I have simultaneously taken two big decisions in my life. The first is to switch to barefoot running, the second one is to start a blog about it. It has been a while since I have been tempted by both, but never really found it into me to get started. After having heard here and there about barefoot running, watching movies on YouTubes, and reading some articles, I was always tempted by the philosophy, the fact that big cushioning soles are counterproductive, that this is imposed on us by big corporations, and that this is in fact a safer way to run. I have also had a few run related injuries, but have had some friends with pretty serious ones. I have had some friends that tried it and immediately go hooked and this has confirmed so many articles I have read about similar immediate addictions to minimalistic shoes. After reading a last article send by a running friend of mine  "The once and future way of running", on the NY times, I decided to get started and ordered my very first pair of VIBRAM FiveFingers SPRINT Goblin Blue.

I can't wait to receive them and get started. On the other side, I have read that it profoundly modifies your own body. It seems that it is not so easy because you need to change your running style, the key apparently being to take it easy. I read lots of comments of happy runners AFTER they have made the transition, but couldn't find any about runners actually in it. Well, I have decided to be the one to document this transition and I will regularly update this blog about my running and what is happening to my body. I hope that it could be of interest to any open-minded runners out there that are hesitating to make the switch and are willing to hear about a real-life story. So here we go. I just ordered them. I live in Germany and there is so far no dealer of VIBRAM in this country. I had to order them online. I choose the most likely size for me. If it is not the one, I will have to send them back and wait another week or two.

Next time, while waiting for the shoes to arrive, I will tell you a bit more about my running history.
That's all for today, take care, run safe.
Next post

No comments:

Post a Comment